Monday, April 28, 2008

Question 5

5b. What do you think would be the hardest part of life in the Secret Annex: the fear of discovery, the need to keep silent for hours at a time, the sharing of cramped quarters with strangers, or some other aspect? Explain.

I think that the hardest part of life in the Secret Annex would be the fear of discovery. This would be the greatest fear for me if I was one of the people living in the Annex, and I think that this was the greatest fear for the members living in the Annex, too. I think this because after settling into the Secret Annex, there are many times where they all hear some noise outside like marching soldiers or cars, and in the play it states that they drop everything they are doing, and all freeze in fear of getting caught in the Secret Annex. After the noise silently dies out, they sigh with relief and continue doing whatever they were doing. The reason of keeping silent for hours at a time is because they are afraid that they will be discovered in the Secret Annex. Also, the reason of sharing cramped quarters with strangers is because of fear of getting caught in the Secret Annex. Almost any other aspect of the hardest part of life in the Secret Annex will all be related and will go back to the fear of being discovered.

Theme: No matter what harsh and difficult conditions you are in, you must always keep your values and love your family unconditionally.

5 comments:

AnthonyK said...

Well, future co-president rep//supposed caroline almighty. I disagree! THey weren't exactly cowering in fear. They did have a nice enough time and the hard thing about the fear was having to be quiet (which if you see my post, is the one i supported). Then, when they were caught, they didn't seem to be scared, they were more of an accepting almost indifferent response. They were also so convinced that their quietness would save them that they didn't even have a backup plan. They couldn't have been unprepared because Mr. Frank seems like an unique foresight/forshadowing type of guy. They were relaxed enough not to give into their fear. They weren't paranoid either or else they would have made the backup plan on one of Miep's visits. Then again, the the silence and the fear are so similar that i guess that this may be called as a comprimise. The hardest may have been the fear of discovery but it was also that they had to be quiet that was hard as well (this sentence is either ambiguous or redundant). If you count that the 'hardest part' means something of 'a bother', it is more of a bother having to be quiet for 10 hrs than think about the fear of the nazis. I can only conclude that there could be better questions than this and that i disagree with you.

Peter U said...

caroline~ I agree with you.
I put mine as getting discovered too. I think their goal is not to get discovered but if you get discovered that is not achieving your goal or failing. Usually when you have a goal the most negative effect is failing the goal. For example, in soccer if you are a goalie and if you gave them a goal you failed your goal. Getting scored is the worst thing you could possibly do. There might be things like fouling and getting red cards and yellow cards. I believe that if you get yellow or red card you get out and a new goalie comes out. I really think that when he get scored is the worst situation.
Nice Job~

Justin said...

Well I liked the way you supported your thought there, but I think that being discovered ties everything together which means it could be broken down into a lot of categories like using the W.C you could get discovered by using the toilet and flushing it. And I think you got confused with the hardest part of life and fear. There are quite distinctive differences between those two words. In my opinion the hardest part of life is not using the toilet for hours thats not a fear but it is a hardship.

brianl said...

i agree with you because i would have felt very scared of being discovered in the annex, after hiding for 2 years. It would always be scary because you don't know when or how somebody might find you in that annex. Anyway i agree with you and i think it was a good explanation.

Sharon said...

I agree with you... I also think that I won't be able to live through a chaos like this one... Instead I will rather choose to die.. I think that living in such a place during a time like that is the worst setting possible!! I feel bad for Anne who had to go through such a disaster...