Saturday, March 15, 2008

Setting - Red Scarf Girl

In the setting of "Red Scarf Girl," the main character is Jiang Ji-Li. She is around 11~13 years old when the Cultural Revolution takes place in 1966. She lives in China, Shanghai, and she is part of a pretty well-off family, so they live in a relatively pleasant neighborhood. She attends a public school close to her home : Xin Er Primary. This setting is the main setting in this book. The only time that the setting changes place is when Ji Li has to go to the countryside to work for Chairman Mao. This is the time of her life which she has to go through so much physical suffering. This book is based on the setting of the Cultural Revolution. Without a setting for this book, I wouldn't be reading it.

2 comments:

LaurenK said...

hahahahaha
yoonjaiii
im the first to comment
ahahahaha :)

Nicely done describing the setting!
You have described the setting so well that you make me want to read
it! I think the setting of your book is very interesting! I do
not know much about China so I would like to read your book later on, to learn about China! It is cool how your setting takes place mostly at one place, because most stories have many changes of where the story occurs at. Lastly, I agree with your last line! I think without settings, I would not be reading my book either!

loveyaaa yoonjeng <3

Joohee K said...

Lauren again !!!
I wanted to be your first comment person hahahahahhah
Great job caroline !!
I really like your setting. It seems like this book is so interesting. I like the way you said if there was no setting, u might not even read this book.
I didnt know this book was about china. I thought it was about korea or japan. I think I really should try this book cause everyone says its a goodddd book.

whatever greatttt jobbbbb YJ ~